Court seeks to revoke Braaten’s probation

A man who stole an estimated $12,000 from a Princeton restaurant and was behind a bomb scare on Princeton’s southwest side is once again in trouble with the court.


See original stories on Shane Braaten’s crimes at the following links:                                                                       


Shane Braaten, 24, Princeton, who in October 2011pleaded guilty to felony burglary charges, is facing the possibility of having his probation revoked and being locked up behind bars.

Court records show that a probation revocation hearing is set for 10 a.m. on Oct. 17 in Mille Lacs County District Court.

Braaten broke into the Madre Loca Restaurant in June 2011 and stole $8,000-$10,000 from the restaurant and another $2,000 in pull-tab earnings belonging to the Princeton Youth Hockey Association.

He was sentenced to 10 years probation, a $50 fine and a stayed sentence of a year and one day.

That meant that Braaten would serve no prison time for the crimes unless he violated the terms of his probation. But Braaten has violated his probation during the past year — potentially as many as 10 times — according to documents filed in Mille Lacs County District Court.

Braaten allegedly walked away from court-ordered chemical dependency programs on three separate occasions, admitted to drug use or alcohol consumption on six separate occasions (the court ordered he could not use or possess either as terms of his probation), and he also failed to keep his address updated with the court, which was also in violation of his probation.

In October 2011 Braaten was also sentenced for possession of materials used to manufacture methamphetamine. Materials used in the manufacturing of meth were found in Braaten’s room at 103 Old 18 Circle, Princeton, when police executed a search warrant Aug. 9 looking for evidence connecting Braaten to the Madre Loca burglary.

Charges of possession/manufacturing an explosive device were dismissed. During the Aug. 9 search police found an object that appeared to be an explosive or incendiary device. The discovery resulted in the evacuation of a Princeton neighborhood. A bomb squad was also called to the scene.