Gladys Marie Larson was born on February 11, 1914 in Glendorado on the family farm, daughter of LD and Andrea (Nelson) Larson. She grew up and attended country school, graduating from Princeton High School in 1933 and continued her education at St. Cloud Normal School. She then taught in country schools in District # 5 in Greenbush Township, Popple Creek, Santiago and Sherburne County. She worked at California Packing Corporation (Del Monte Foods) in the office during WWII. She was united in marriage with Forrest Earl Petersen on October 31, 1942 in Portland, Oregon, where he was working in the shipyards. Following the war, they returned to the Glendorado-Santiago-Blue Hill (MN) area, where they lived until 1975, when they moved into Princeton. She worked at Fingerhut in Princeton starting in 1960 and then returned to college to renew her teaching certification before returning to teaching at Santiago and later Princeton. Her husband,Forrest, died on August 27, 1997.
Gladys enjoyed sewing, crocheting and quilting. She also enjoyed music
including the piano and violin and in her younger years had a harmonica band
at Popple Creek. She was active in the Ladies Aide and her Circle at
Glendorado Lutheran Church, Glendorado.
She is survived by her children: Sherilyn (Thomas) Loeffler of Maple Grove,
Ronald (Anne) Petersen of Saratoga Springs, New York, Jensine (Gary) Turner
of Princeton, Gregory (Lois) Petersen of Princeton, and Kimberly (Larry)
Nelson of St. Cloud, Florida; eight grandchildren, five step-grandchildren,
eleven great-grandchildren, ten step-great-grandchildren and one step-great
great-grandchild; three sisters-in-law: Erliss Petersen of Austin, MN,
Reggie Petersen of Green Bay, WI, and June Larson Severson of Northfield,
MN. She was preceded in death by her parents: LD and Karen Andrea Larson;
siblings: Alma Walton, Orville Larson, Stella Carlson, Helmer Larson and
Arnold Larson; her husband: Forrest Petersen; and three grandchildren: Wendy
Pangerl, Mark Liestman and Theresa McBroom.
The Funeral was held on Thursday, Oct 25th at the Glendorado Lutheran Church
of God’s Greater Glory Parish, Glendorado, MN.
Burial: Glendorado Lutheran Cemetery, Glendorado, MN