A heat lamp being used to warm baby chicks in a shed at the James Hollermann residence at 15129 Hwy. 95 in rural Princeton was the cause of a fire that killed some of the chicks during the morning of May 1, according to Princeton Fire Chief Jim Roxbury.Princeton firefighters extinguished the fire right away, saving the shed and a number of the chicks. The shed had smoke and some water damage, but the main damage was confined to a brooding area where the fire started, Roxbury said.
Princeton Fire and Rescue received the structure-fire call at about 7 a.m. and called the Baldwin fire and rescue department for mutual aid, but cancelled Baldwin shortly after.
Firefighters carried out as many chicks as possible, with Hollermann estimating that more than half of his 100 chicks died due to the fire. Hollermann was raising the chicks for butchering as broilers this coming late summer or fall.
Roxbury happened to have his camera at the call and snapped photos of baby chicks cradled in the arms of some of the firefighters.