The Mille Lacs County Board of Commissioners conducted the following business at its Oct. 15 meeting. Written by Joel Stottrup.
The board approved a memorandum of agreement between the county and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local Union 2889 to give additional pay to Lynn Goldbloom and Darlyn Gould.
Goldbloom and Gould are employed in the county’s Community Veteran Services department. The union had contended that the two employees were entitled to additional pay for duties assigned as a result of a vacancy in the case aide position beginning April 1, 2013.
The memorandum states that Gould had already been granted additional duty pay for April 1-26, 2013, and that the county and union agreed during mediation to pay six weeks of additional duty pay to both Goldbloom and Gould in order to settle the union grievance.
The additional pay will be for April 1 to May 10, 2013.
Purchase of core switch
The board approved purchasing a HP 2800 core switch at a cost of just over $3,988 from SHI. The core switch is used to manage the county’s computer network services. The old switch had been failing during peak periods with the addition of the county’s new wireless network for its government buildings.
The board approved an on/off sale liquor license including Sunday liquor for Hunter Winfields Inc., doing business as Good Life at Liberty Beach, located in East Side Township. The license will be effective Dec. 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014.
The board approved the consent agenda, containing a dozen items that included minutes of the Oct. 1 board meeting, review of the county auditor’s warrants, and auditor-treasurer’s report. Other business under the consent agenda included:
• Executing collective bargaining agreement with the Minnesota Public Employees Association representing the sheriff’s office supervisors. The agreement covers vacation, sick and holiday time off and uniform allowance. The general wage increase will be 1 percent retroactive to Jan. 1, 2013.
• Approving an agreement with Shu-Tran LLC for transportation.
• Adding a minimum value plan to the county’s employee health insurance offerings as a pilot plan for 2014, with the county to contribute 100 percent of the premium and deposit $2,750 annually into a health savings account.
• County jail report showing the receipt of $373,840 year to date for boarding prisoners from outside the county and for Department of Corrections release violators. The jail received about $403,882 year to date for booking, miscellaneous fees, recovered fees and pay-to-stay fees.
• Purchasing of a replacement GPS tracking device for about $1,630 from CovertTrack Group Inc., of Scottsdale, Ariz.
• Accepting a summary of the annual performance evaluation of Mille Lacs County Administrator Roxy Traxler for the period March 1, 2012 to Sept. 30, 2013 as “commendable.”
• Approving the annual maintenance and upkeep allotment of $800 to the Milo Cemetery as the county-designated cemetery.
• Approving a request to fill the vacant WIC coordinator position with either one full-time employee or two part-time employees.
Trail project report
Mark Riverblood with the Rum River Recreation and Resource Board talked about the board’s goals, and Heidi Chiodo talked about a pledge drive to begin construction on a trail project.